Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I'm getting on a plane tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited. I haven't spent Thanksgiving with me family in years and my father is an amazing cook. And you can go to good Thanksgivings, with lovingly prepared food, but it isn't the same as when your mom calls the weekend before to ask if you have any special requests and before the sentence is finished you reply "Spanikopita". Because you've been thinking about it. A LOT!

It's been a few months since I've had reason to fly, even Midwest city to Midwest city, and I've missed it. It's a headache for many and I can't imagine flying with children, but I enjoy it. For an hour or two no one will bother me except to ask if I'd like a complimentary salty snack or soft drink. I know that one of the purposes and benefits of travel is connecting with your fellow travelers, those who you'd never meet but for this breif moment in history. I know that there are people out there, interesting people, people who have stories and trials all their own. When I'm on a plane,though, or in a coach or a train or a bus (pretty much any mode of transportation, I guess), I want that time to reflect. To read the books that I can't get to during my normal life, to write about the things I don't have time to write about. To have some "me" time in admidst hundreds of other people's lives.

Usually I've had the good fortune to not travel at peak times, but not tomorrow. I'm going to join the throngs of people trying, just like me, to be home for the holiday. While this can be frustrating, it does offer excellent people watching opportunities. Little kids being normal, acting like kids do, in an abnormal situation. This can lead to either annoying or cute situations, but either way it's interesting. You also run across many different types of people in a close setting that you wouldn't typically. And of course, the large loads of people + possible inclement weater + flying metal boats = possible adventure. I don't think there will be any Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, but hanging out in an airport with thousands of strangers can be loads of fun.

Today I tried to determine which books I am taking for my seven hours of travel time (there and back and in the airport) and I've decided on four: How To Look at Everything, A Journey Around my Room, The Undressed Art, and The Lamp of Beauty. A few more might make it in, as well. Maybe I can have some movement in my reading sidebar!

Safe travels, everyone!

No comments: