Monday, January 12, 2009

Plans

In less than two months, I will be traveling down the streets of Brussels. Why Brussels, when all of Europe and beyond beckons? Why this small, and from many accounts, unassuming city as a destination? The best reason of all.....to visit friends!

I wish I could conveniently position friends and relations in all the corners and cracks in the world. To stay with a (semi) native, someone who knows the area, who knows where the best restaraunts are, the times for the market, how to get from Point A to Point B to Point C, and most importantly knows when the bars open, that - if I can't be a native myself - can save all the time and bother of trying to acclimate oneself to a new town. And let's not forget the savings on hotels!

I've been reading up on Brussels in preparation for the trip and the information is a little disheartening.....many books say things like, "Paris (Amsterdam, Bruges, London, Antwerp, Prague) is only a train ride away." Surely there's more to the town than that! I think my favorite quote so far is from Bill Bryson's Neither Here Nor There in which he says something to the effect of "I walked around the Grand Place and took in all the sites....and then wondered if 9:47 in the morning was to early to start drinking." Though, why not? One of Brussels best draws is its famous and delicious beers. When in Belguim.....

Even though the tourist books and travelogues aren't being helpful, the best part about the town is what can't be written. What I love about Europe is the hidden corners, the stumbled-upon treasures that seem created just for you - whether it's a particular fountain, or the store that stole your heart, or the friendly native who doesn't speak any English but is overwhelmed to try what he does know on you. And there is always my favorite game - be understood in a language you don't speak. It can cause some interesting times, I assure you.

In my week of travel, I know we'll spend one day in Germany, visiting my boyfriend's grandfather's home and hopefully one or two days in a neighboring city. But I'm most looking forward to walking the streets and imagining what it would be like to walk these streets every day. I plan to take tons of pictures and make lots of memories. And maybe buy a thing or two that's really Belgian. That's my type of adventure.

No comments: