Thursday, October 9, 2008

I took this picture last night, walking home in the dusk. I was actually amazed that it come out so well, as my camera doesn't like to not use it's flash. But last night was a perfect night for being out and about with no real destination (besides eventually home).
You can really focus on your thoughts when you walk. Whenever I drive, and try to think about lots of different things - what happened at work, what needs to happen at home, errands to run, letters to mail - I miss important traffic cues, like red lights, turns, other cars. It is very dangerous for me to think and drive.
But if I'm walking...well, a) I'm more aware of my surroundings because I can use my ears and my eyes to sense what is going on, b)I go more slowly so I have time to notice and retain any visual or aural stimulus, and c)time to spin out thoughts without thinking "other car, yellow light, will I make it, better stop, turn signal, more cars, red light red light red light, green, go, look both ways, no turn on red, dang it," etc., etc. Instead, I walk for a while and I think, and usually my feet continue on whether I babysit them or not.
Good night.

No comments: